Reading at St Michael's
At St Michael’s, we recognise that reading is fundamental to the success of our pupils across the entire curriculum. Therefore, it is placed at the centre of our provision. We aim to create an immersive reading environment for our children where everyone is a reader. This is accomplished in many ways:
- Daily phonics sessions in Reception and KS1(Y1 and Y2).
- Catch up sessions of phonics for children who need support in KS2 (Y3-Y6).
- A daily whole-class reading lesson in KS2 classes, which focuses on the class text and teaches key reading strategies and skills to enable them comprehend texts well.
- A daily group guided reading session in KS1.
- Teachers regularly listening to children read on a one-to-one basis.
- Teachers reading to their classes at the end of every day.
- Calm and peaceful Read and Reflect (R&R) time where children can read a book of their choice, often straiht after lunch.
- Up-to-date and inviting book corners where children can become enthused about books.
- Sets of non-fiction books which can be usd to supplement the wider curriculum, including beautifully illustrated, large, hard-back history and map books.